If you are an investor in a CrowdStreet Marketplace deal, you generally hold membership interest in a real estate LLC (limited liability company) treated as a partnership for tax purposes.
As such, the taxable activity earned by the partnership is allocated to all of the individual members (partners) based on ownership percentage and is reported to the investors their tax documents.
What documents will you receive?
- CrowdStreet investors will most likely receive a K-1 as their tax document.
- These tax documents are generated by each sponsor.
- Each sponsor is required to provide this to you via your Investor Room.
When will my tax documents be available?
- Step 1: Go to your investor room by clicking on “Portfolio” and then “View Investor Room.”
- Step 2: Locate the “Next Tax Document” date on the left.
- Note: Keep in mind this date can vary depending on the investment offering and its sponsor. It is common that K-1’s will be provided by sponsors after March 15, thus will require filing for an extension.
Where do I find my K-1s or other tax documents?
There are two ways to do this.
- First way: Investor Room
- Step 1: Go to crowdstreet.com (ensure that you are logged in). Click on ‘Portfolio’ at the top left. Determine which investment you are looking for and click “View Investor Room.”
- Step 2: Validate when the sponsor said they would upload documents
- Step 3: On or after that date, you can expect a K-1 to be uploaded in the documents section of your Investor Room. You will know it is a tax document because it will be labeled as a “Tax Document” in the “Type” column.
- Second way: “Documents” Navigation”
- Step 1: Go to crowdstreet.com (ensure you are logged in), and click “Documents” on the top left. Here you will find an aggregate of all your documents from all investments.
- Step 2: Filter for Tax Documents.
Need to make changes to your account information?
- Please reference our article: How to: Create or Update an Investing Entity